Monday, July 19, 2010

Biblical Truth on Motherhood from Jani Ortlund

I love reading (and listening to) anything by Jani Ortlund. She is a gift to many women through her biblical wisdom. She loves serving women and helping them love their husbands and children, just as Titus 2 commands her to. She also delights in serving her own husband and now grown children. God has shaped her and equipped her to be a model, which is why I was so excited to read her article in the 9Marks E-Journal this past weekend. The article came out a few weeks ago but I didn't have time to sit down and read it, so I saved it for this past Saturday. I was so blessed. The article is titled: "For the Young Mother: Ministry Guilt and Seasons of Life." And it is worth the read.

Now I know what you are thinking, "she doesn't have kids." You are right. I don't have kids, but I hope to someday soon. So it's never too early to start preparing for the most important job I will ever have. Plus, there are truths in this article that can be applied to me even now as I serve my husband and cultivate a home. I don't know about you, but I am constantly wrestling through unbiblical and biblical guilt. Often I am weighed down with guilt that is not of the Holy Spirit's conviction, and is therefore seeking to destroy my life. Jani has some helpful truths from God's word to put guilt in a biblical perspective.

"Don’t waste your guilt, but instead listen to it and evaluate it. Take it out of the shadows and examine it in the light of Scripture. Lay out your feelings before Christ. Is this guilt legitimate conviction of sin? Then confess your sin, receive his forgiveness and ask him where and how he wants you to change.

But maybe your guilt is a nagging, self-focused fear that if you were just a bit better or worked just a little harder, then you would be noticed and admired enough to feel okay about yourself. That is false guilt, rooted in pride. It will hurt your family and hinder your relationship with your grace-giving Father. If this describes your guilt, then remind yourself that through Christ’s death and resurrection, you’re accepted by God. The solution to false guilt, as to true guilt, is the gospel.

Paul speaks of these two kinds of guilt in 2 Corinthians 7:10. There is a godly grief that produces repentance, and a worldly grief that produces death. Ask yourself this question: is what I give my time and energies to driven by life-giving repentance or life-depleting pride?"


If you want to learn more about what it looks like to fight false guilt and live in light of the Gospel you can read the rest of the article here. Enjoy!

No comments: