Anyway, the recipe calls for shrimp, but shrimp is not my favorite so I used chicken. And I also used whatever veggies I had around the kitchen. I really liked the addition of greek yogurt. It made it taste really good!
Here it is!
Chicken and Veggie Penne
What you need:
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes (about 1/2 lb.) chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 10 ounces medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (or 1 chicken breast)
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
How it's made:
- Cook penne according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in garlic and red pepper flakes, cook for 2 minutes or until garlic begins to soften.
- Add in mushrooms, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to release their water.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and add in shrimp. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and opaque. If you are adding cooked chicken you do not need to do this step. Remove from heat, add in spinach and cover skillet. Let spinach wilt for 2 minutes.
- Remove lid and place skillet back over low heat. Add the penne, Greek yogurt and pasta sauce.Stir until sauce is mixed well and all pasta and veggies are coated. Heat until just warmed through. Top with parmesan cheese