Saturday, September 18, 2010

Friday is for Food (a little late)

This weekend we had a marriage conference at church, which is why this post is a little late. I signed up to bring a dessert to the Friday evening session. Pretty easy, right. Well, I had been planning on making pumpkin bars all week because it's fall and it's a very "fall-y" food (even though it is 90 degrees and doesn't feel like fall). I went to Kroger on Thursday night to get my ingredients. I searched all over the baked goods aisle to no avail. I could not locate the pumpkin for the life of me. Finally I asked the stocker where the pumpkin was and he said "we don't have it yet. It's seasonal."

What! Seasonal? It's September! 'Tis the season for pumpkin, people!

Anyway, being a novice baker I am not equipped to just figure something else out. So I went to my default desssert, boxed brownie mix. But I went all fancy and bought the Ghiradelli kind because we were going to church. So today's recipe is not the pumpkin bars I hoped for, but it's still good.

I made pulled beef sandwiches in the crockpot earlier this week and we love it! Here it is:

BBQ Beef Sandwiches from Best-Loved Slow Cooker Recipes

1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of liquid smoke
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
10 to 12 sandwich buns

Place beef in slow cooker. Combine remaining ingredients, except rolls, in medium bowl; pour over meat. Cover; cook on low 8 to 9 hours.

Remove beef from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks.

Combine beef with 1 cup sauce from slow cooker. Evenly distribute meat and sauce mixture among warmed rolls.

Enjoy! Happy weekend!

No comments: