Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Letter to My Sons on Their First Birthday

My precious Luke and Zach,

It will be a long time before you are ever able to read this, but I didn't want your first birthday to go by without writing down all you have meant to me this past year. Oh how I love you so! You have changed my life in so many ways and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Lucas, your name means "bearer of light" and what a bright spot you are! You have had quite the first year between a difficult NICU stay, physical therapy, helmet therapy, and countless evaluations. You have taken it all in stride with a sweet disposition and smile on your face. You love to make new friends and are such a happy and content little guy. You were a busy bee when Mommy was pregnant with you and that has not stopped one bit. You are already walking and moving everywhere. You are quite determined!

Zachary, your name means "God has remembered" and every time I see your sweet face I am reminded that God truly remembered us in our affliction and gave us you as a precious gift! You are such a sweet little boy. You love to be near Mommy, Daddy, and Luke. And when you smile it lights up the room. You are very observant and are happy to let Luke try new things before you take a stab at it, unless it involved eating--then you will take the lead! You have the sweetest voice when you babble and you love to make Luke laugh. If only we knew what it is that is so funny to him!

There are so many prayers I have for you, my sons. But the one that is over them all is that you would one day see your great need for a Savior and trust Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Oh how I pray that you would be found in him. There are many things in this world that will compete for your affections, but only one thing can truly satisfy the deep longing in your soul--and that is Christ. I pray your heart would be stirred to treasure him above all else.

You have brightened my life in ways I never knew possible. It is a joy and a privilege to be your Mommy. I love you dearly.

Happy 1st Birthday!

-Mommy

No comments: